Thanks for your interest in working with Theater Wit
For play submissions, we currently accept
- Unsolicited work from any playwright currently living in Chicago or its immediate environs
- Agent submissions (no more than 2/agent at a time). Please contact the AD before submitting
- Blind submissions if you aren't one of the above (representative pages). We have no dedicated staff and so cannot guarantee to read unsolicited work from non-Chicago playwrights.
For all other positions, please review any job-specific and submission requirements on the submission detail.
We are a theater company within a building, within a community, within a world.
As a production company, Theater Wit is the premier smart art theater in Chicago, producing humorous, challenging, and intelligent plays that speak with a vibrant and contemporary theatrical voice.
As an institution, Theater Wit seeks to be the hub of the Chicago neighborhood theater scene. In our three spaces, we bring together Chicago’s best storefront theater companies. Here you will find a smorgasbord of excellent productions, see the work of a parade of talented artists, and mingle with audiences from all over Chicago.
Theater Wit seeks experienced AEA Production Stage Manager’s to join our team for our 2023 remounted production of “Who's Holiday!”
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Attending rehearsals, previews, and performances.
- Creating rehearsal and performance reports.
- Time tracking for crew/actors.
- Calling the show and operating the Lighting console and Qlab during all performances
- Working with the Director, Production Manager and Actor throughout the rehearsal process to help create a welcoming and productive atmosphere for the rehearsal team. This may include tracking blocking, costumes and props, setting up the space, costume care, being on book for actors, running lines, and other capacities.
- Managing the ASM who runs a backstage track during performances, which may include costume quick changes, props tracking, and assisting with performance pre-sets.
This is a Equity position on a Tier 4 Contract.
Pre-Production Week: November 6th, 2023 - November 12th, 2023
Rehearsals: November 14th, 2023 - November 19th, 2023
Tech: November 21st & 22nd, 2023
Previews: November 25th, 2023 - November 27th, 2023
Opening: November 28th, 2023
Closing: December 31st, 2023
- This page is only for playwrights based in Chicago. If you are an out-of-town writer, please contact Artistic Director Jeremy Wechsler (jeremy at theaterwit dot org) with a query letter.
- We can only accept one work at a time from you. Pick the one you feel is the best match for Theater Wit. Multiple submissions are therefore ignored. Please don't send us your catalog :)
- We do not accept works that have already received a full production in the Chicagoland area. Second productions from out-of-town theaters are a-ok.
Theater Wit seeks experienced Scenic, Lighting, Sound, Costumes, Properties, and Violence Designers to join our team for our upcoming 2023 production of Inanimate written by Nick Robideau, directed by Jeremy Wechsler. More information about the company/season and staff please, visit our website – www.theaterwit.org
Erica, shy and more than a little socially awkward, is in love with Dee. The problem is that her politician sister, her only and equally awkward new friend, and the nosy residents of their small town in Massachusetts don’t understand at all, because Dee … well, Dee is a Dairy Queen sign. INANIMATE is a play that explores objectum sexuality, feeling like an outsider, listening to your heart and finally, finding your tribe.
Load-in: Monday, March 11th, 2024 - Sunday, March 17th, 2024
Designer Run: Thursday, March 14th, 2024
Tech: Tuesday, March 19th, 2024 through March 30th, 2024
First Preview: Friday, March 22nd, 2024
Opening: Monday, April 1st, 2024
Closing: Saturday, May 4th, 2024
Strike: Sunday, May 5th, 2025